- Using Digitized Newspapers to Address Measurement Error in Historical Data (with Joung Yeob Ha and Randall Walsh)
– NBER working paper no. 29808 here. Read our VoxEU article here.
– revise & resubmit at the Journal of Economic History
- New Area- and Population-based Geographic Crosswalks for U.S. Counties and Congressional Districts, 1790-2020 (with Patrick Testa and Liyang Zhou)
– Crosswalks, teaching material, and replication files can be downloaded here. SSRN working paper here.
- Wars, Taxation and Representation: Evidence from Five Centuries of German History (with Sascha O. Becker, Eric Melander, and Luigi Pascali)
– CEPR working paper no. 15601 here.
Work in Progress
- The Confederate Diaspora (with Samuel Bazzi, Martin Fiszbein, Thomas Pearson, and Patrick Testa)
- The Economic and Ideological Foundations of the Great White Migration (with Samuel Bazzi, Martin Fiszbein, Thomas Pearson, and Patrick Testa)
- World War II and the Roots of the Civil Rights Movement (with Silvia Farina, Marco Tabellini, and Sarah Walker)
- Leadership and Team Cohesion under Flying Bullets: Captains and their Companies in the Civil War (with Christian Dippel)
- Wars and the Labor Market Outcomes of Minorities in the U.S., chapter in preparation for the Routledge Handbook on the Economic History of War
- The Other Great Migration: Southern Whites and the New Right, Quarterly Journal of Economics, forthcoming (with Samuel Bazzi, Martin Fiszbein, Thomas Pearson, and Patrick Testa)
- Fatherless: The Long-Term Effects of Losing a Father in the U.S. Civil War, Journal of Human Resources, forthcoming (with Yannick Dupraz)
- Churches as Social Insurance: Oil Risk and Religion in the U.S. South, Journal of Economic History, forthcoming (with Patrick Testa)
- Discrimination, Migration, and Economic Outcomes: Evidence from World War I, Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming (with Price Fishback) [Cato policy brief here]
- World War II and Black Economic Progress, 2022, Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 40(4), pp. 1053-1091
- Sundown Towns and Racial Exclusion: The Southern White Diaspora and the “Great Retreat”, 2022, AEA Papers and Proceedings, Vol. 112, pp. 234-238 (with Samuel Bazzi, Martin Fiszbein, Thomas Pearson, and Patrick Testa)
- Causal mediation analysis in instrumental-variables regressions, 2020, Stata Journal, Vol. 20(3), pp. 613-626 (with Christian Dippel and Stephan Heblich) [For data and code type “findit ivmediate” in Stata.]
- Consequences of Forced Migration: A Survey of Recent Findings, 2019, Labour Economics, Vol. 59, pp. 1-16 (with Sascha O. Becker) [Supplementary material available here.]
- Voluntary Programs to Encourage Diffusion: The Case of the Combined Heat-and-Power Partnership, 2014, The Energy Journal, Vol. 35(1), pp. 161-173 (with Ian Lange)